Despite their name, wisdom teeth really have nothing to do with our grey matter and in medical terms, they are referred to as the third set of molars in the human mouth. Although removal of wisdom teeth is a common procedure to protect the mouth, patients should always follow the advice of their dentist or surgeon to help with recovery and to avoid serious infection.

What are wisdom teeth?

Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to erupt, and they are located on both the lower and the upper parts of the back of the gums, at the back of the mouth. There are one to four wisdom teeth (it may vary from one person to another) and they occur between the ages of around 17 to 25 (this may also differ).

The fact that wisdom teeth usually erupt after the completion of jaw growth and formation of the teeth, does explain some specific characteristics. Firstly, the human mouth does not have space for all four wisdom teeth, which if added are 32 teeth, so if these last teeth come out it may cause pressure, along with infection, earache and swelling – which is the root cause of all the pain.

Incorrectly growing wisdom teeth can also cause endless problems, a lot of pain and discomfort for many people. According to statistics, a mere 2% of wisdom teeth in males germinate without problems and take a proper place in the jaw. The remaining 98% have some sort of problems or difficulty, either with the removal of third molars or with regard to the eruption.

The reason for wisdom teeth surgery is simply because either the patient does not have space in the jawbone for the teeth to erupt, or the wisdom teeth could be growing in the wrong position. In many cases, the consequences of removing wisdom teeth are associated with several complications, but often the problem (such as infection) starts before surgery.

Will wisdom teeth extraction surgery be painful?

The surgical removal of wisdom teeth does sound and seems more painful than it actually is, but what you need to be kept in mind, is the relief of pain afterwards. You will never experience pain caused by your wisdom teeth ever again!

What can you expect with the removal of these teeth?

Depending on the patient, the surgery is usually done under local anaesthesia, which completely blocks pain in your jaw, teeth and gums, while you are awake. If you do feel uncomfortable about the process, you can choose general anaesthesia that will allow you to sleep through the entire extraction process. The process of removing the wisdom tooth is similar to a normal tooth – depending on how the tooth grows.

After the procedure, our dentist will explain to you how best to care for and look after your teeth. If bleeding occurs, this is normal, as well as some swelling of the jaw, but after a few days the swelling will subside, and your pain will be gone.

No one has to live with pain caused by their wisdom teeth. With our oral surgery and dental extractions services, we can help you to become pain-free and enjoy a normal life again.

WordPress Video Lightbox Plugin